INTRODUCTION

Talofa! (Hello) This blog is for friends & family to follow me as I partake on my 3rd overseas missionary journey. I’ll be in Samoa and American Samoa for 5 weeks this summer, sharing my experiences as well as prayer requests & praises on this site! I am so grateful for a new opportunity to help people spiritually & physically!

There is no greater joy than working for the Lord & knowing that nothing happens outside of His control. The peace that comes from knowing you’re right where God wants you is indescribable!! I plan to travel and share the gospel and love of Jesus Christ as long as the Lord permits!

If you have supported me through prayer or funding, I can’t thank you enough!! If you haven’t supported me yet but are still interested in what I’m doing, I hope you enjoy my blog. Fa'afetai (thanks) for taking the time to read this! God bless!


Our Team at Church Here in Samoa

Our Team at Church Here in Samoa

Fa'atui (The Visionary who started the school here in 1992))

Fa'atui (The Visionary who started the school here in 1992))

Zephaniah (Fa'atui's grandson)

Zephaniah (Fa'atui's grandson)

S.P.I.C.C

S.P.I.C.C

Our New Family

Our New Family
Can't wait to meet them!!

The Girl's Room

The Girl's Room

Some of My Girls

Some of My Girls

A Product of the Tsunami last Fall

A Product of the Tsunami last Fall

This Church was nearly wiped out from the Tsunami

This Church was nearly wiped out from the Tsunami

After I received news that my Grandma was dying I went outside and this rainbow was in the sky.

After I received news that my Grandma was dying I went outside and this rainbow was in the sky.
GOD ALWAYS KEEPS HIS PROMISES

Friday, June 4, 2010

Alive & Well (also warm & sticky... Haha!)

Talofa friends & family!
First post here on the island!! I must start by saying GOD IS SO MUCH BETTER TO US THAN WE EVER EVER DESERVE!!! The flights were great (tho I hardly slept)! The island hopper was tiny & fun! Kinda felt like the Tower of terror a couple times but we made it safe & sound! The air conditioning on the plane turned into fog instantly which was fun and the plane was so tiny we could see the pilot and our luggage at the same time (FROM OUR SEATS!! Haha!) The view flying over the islands was incredible!! It felt like we were flying into Neverland!!

Once on the ground we were picked up by the missionaries here (born natives) Beta & Fa'atui. They are in charge of the mission school here which will host about 80 children for the summer school program. We begin teaching (assisting teaching) on Monday. We met the teachers today and went through a brief orientation. Our team is assisting in teaching reading, and math. We are also in charge of teaching the Bible class which is the last period of the day.

The village of Fatumafuti is small. Futi rock is right outside our window! It's unbelievable!! We were able to go swimming the first afternoon we arived! The water is just as warm as the air and the coral is just as sharp as we were warned it would be. Many of us were bleeding a bit when we got out. Haha! Only minor scrapes. The tide is strong and makes it a little tough to see what you're stepping on at times so that caused us to trip.

The house we are staying in here on campus is HUGE!! Climbing one of the outdoor stair cases I feel as though I'm in Swiss Family Robinson!! The lush growth all around us in unlike anything I've ever ever seen!! Banana & breadfruit trees, indescribable flowers and bushes! The sounds of the native birds are fun! As well as the chickens. There are dogs here but they look more like wild dogs and kinda seem to fend for themselves.

The children we have met so far (the missionaries grandchildren and others who live here at the school) are precious and fun!! They want to follow us everyone and do everything we do! They are a joy! Zamira (a 6th grade girl here) has been a great help to us girls! She shows us around and answers questions whenever she can! Her younger brother Zephaniah loves swimming with us and goofing around with the boys on our team.

I broke out in hives on my shoulders, arms and neck the first day. Not sure if it was from the sunscreen I put on, the heat or what but praise the Lord they mostly went away with medicine!!
The humidity is something I might struggle with but as long as I can last between cold bottles of water, swimming or taking a cold shower I should be okay ;)
It has already rained a couple of times (I guess it does that often) but the rain never cools anything down. it stays about the same temperature all the time with the same amount of humidity. The rain comes HEAVY & without warning!! It slaps the ground and then disappears just as quickly as it came leaving everything even a little wetter than it already was.

We took the bus into Pago Pago Harbor today for lunch. It was fun! Loud music and very friendly Samoans everywhere! They all say hello, ask us where we are from and if we are enjoying our stay. It's been so nice! Tomorrow Fa'atui is going to take us out to see more of the island.

PRAYER REQUESTS:
1.) Adjusting to the constant humidity & heat
2.) Our preparations for teaching on Monday (we must plan our own Bible lessons)
3.) Humility as we learn about the island, how we should relate to the culture, what we can do and not do and how we have LOTS to learn!!!
4.) Bug bite (several of us already have many) but they were expected
5.) Harmony for our team (that we will continue to serve each other and put each other's needs first
6. Lastly that we will be servants to and nothing but a blessing to everyone here at the mission

THANKS SO MUCH!!! TO GOD ALONE BE THE GLORY!!
Hope everyone is doing well back home! I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment