INTRODUCTION

Talofa! (Hello) This blog is for friends & family to follow me as I partake on my 3rd overseas missionary journey. I’ll be in Samoa and American Samoa for 5 weeks this summer, sharing my experiences as well as prayer requests & praises on this site! I am so grateful for a new opportunity to help people spiritually & physically!

There is no greater joy than working for the Lord & knowing that nothing happens outside of His control. The peace that comes from knowing you’re right where God wants you is indescribable!! I plan to travel and share the gospel and love of Jesus Christ as long as the Lord permits!

If you have supported me through prayer or funding, I can’t thank you enough!! If you haven’t supported me yet but are still interested in what I’m doing, I hope you enjoy my blog. Fa'afetai (thanks) for taking the time to read this! God bless!


Our Team at Church Here in Samoa

Our Team at Church Here in Samoa

Fa'atui (The Visionary who started the school here in 1992))

Fa'atui (The Visionary who started the school here in 1992))

Zephaniah (Fa'atui's grandson)

Zephaniah (Fa'atui's grandson)

S.P.I.C.C

S.P.I.C.C

Our New Family

Our New Family
Can't wait to meet them!!

The Girl's Room

The Girl's Room

Some of My Girls

Some of My Girls

A Product of the Tsunami last Fall

A Product of the Tsunami last Fall

This Church was nearly wiped out from the Tsunami

This Church was nearly wiped out from the Tsunami

After I received news that my Grandma was dying I went outside and this rainbow was in the sky.

After I received news that my Grandma was dying I went outside and this rainbow was in the sky.
GOD ALWAYS KEEPS HIS PROMISES

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Halfway Through... with Much Work Left to Do!

Well....it's been quite another week here on Tutuila! My kids are a handful but I was so blessed to return to my class on Tuesday and see how excited they were to have me back! They are hard to handle sometimes as many of them are somewhat neglected and attention starved but it's such a beautiful thing to watch them when a concept finally clicks in their heads and they feel accomplished and want to learn! That makes a week of fighting with them worthwhile!

This week I began tutoring a boy named Garrett in math. He is supposed to be going into 5th grade but can hardly say his times tables. We've already made a lot of progress in only a few days! He doesn't have that much trouble learning if someone helps him focus, its just that he has a really hard time paying attention and finding motivation. I've really enjoyed helping him out. He gets embarrassed because he has to stay after to get help but he is really sweet and talks to me when no one else is around.

This week went very well. Teaching hasn't gotten any easier but I enjoy the children. Getting to know them has been really neat! Some hang around as long as they can after school just to talk and receive hugs. It's hard because I can tell many of them are just aching for love and attention. That worried me for their futures! But all I can do is teach them from God's Word, spend time investing in their lives and pray they hold on to what they learn and that God has mercy on their souls.

I taught from Luke on Thursday and I think it went pretty well. I've never enjoyed speaking in public or teaching, but as the time here grows shorter I actually long to teach more simply because I want to give them as much of God's Word as I can. There is something about reading and explaining the Bible to so many little faces. Just knowing that what they learn during that time is more important than what they learn the rest of the day is motivation enough! I ache for them to be able to grasp the truth! There is SO MUCH church here. But just that. CHURCH. Not Bible. Not the gospel. Half the island probably doesn't even know why they go to church. Many of the regular kids who attend S.P.I.C.C. here even don't know what to do with the Biblical things they memorize while at school here. They go home and don't receive any truth or see any examples of of Christianity lived out. During question times here, they always answer with "Jesus" or some other basic Sunday school answer but they can't tell us who Jesus is, what sin is, or where they will go when they die. We hope to help them learn as much as they can in our second half of the Summer school program. In some ways 2 weeks seems like a LONG time but when measured in how much the children can learn about God in that time, 2 weeks is not enough. Thankfully God is in control and I know He is working here in the way He planned to and that is the best for everyone. Whether or not it feels like we are accomplishing as much as we'd like to, God's plans aren't usually for us to understand.

Today we went for a 7-mile hike up and down Mt. Alava with Moni (one of Fa'atui's daughters). She is leaving tomorrow to go work in the states for a month but has been an amazing help to as here, as our personal guide through everything! We will miss her very much! The hike was INCREDIBLE!! Part of the time we walked along a ridge where we could see over both sides of the island at the same time! It was breathtaking! The hike made me realize how out-of-shape I am unfortunately. It was tough at times as a lot of it was steep, on slippery rocks and in tons of mud! Surprisingly no one fell, although there were many close calls! Haha! When we got back to the truck everyone had mud up to their knees! We had a great time getting exercise, enjoying God's amazing creation and recouping from the week.

I better wrap things up now. Thanks so much everyone who has been praying for me and our work here!! GOD IS SO GOOD!! Through difficult times, He is only THAT much more beautiful and I appreciate Him more every day! My team has been incredible in helping through the death of my Grandma while being here. I couldn't ask for more compassionate, wonderful teammates! A special thank you goes out to each of them!

PLEASE PRAY FOR:

1.) Our last two weeks of school, that we wouldn't get burned out but continue coming up with fresh ideas for school, songs, games, and most importantly good Bible lessons that reach the children where they are.

2.) Moni as she travels to the states for a while and we no longer have her help.

3.) My family as they continue to miss my Grandma who passed away June 14th

4.) Tyler (our team leader) and his family. His Uncle passed away from a heart attack the same day as my Grandma.

5.) The team as we start to grow homesick and tired in the second half of our trip. We will need your prayers THAT much more as our energy begins to wear out. We need to keep grounded in the Word and focused on the goal (THE GLORY OF GOD & THE FURTHERING OF HIS ETERNAL KINGDOM).


THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE!!! TO GOD ALONE BE THE GLORY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment