INTRODUCTION

Talofa! (Hello) This blog is for friends & family to follow me as I partake on my 3rd overseas missionary journey. I’ll be in Samoa and American Samoa for 5 weeks this summer, sharing my experiences as well as prayer requests & praises on this site! I am so grateful for a new opportunity to help people spiritually & physically!

There is no greater joy than working for the Lord & knowing that nothing happens outside of His control. The peace that comes from knowing you’re right where God wants you is indescribable!! I plan to travel and share the gospel and love of Jesus Christ as long as the Lord permits!

If you have supported me through prayer or funding, I can’t thank you enough!! If you haven’t supported me yet but are still interested in what I’m doing, I hope you enjoy my blog. Fa'afetai (thanks) for taking the time to read this! God bless!


Our Team at Church Here in Samoa

Our Team at Church Here in Samoa

Fa'atui (The Visionary who started the school here in 1992))

Fa'atui (The Visionary who started the school here in 1992))

Zephaniah (Fa'atui's grandson)

Zephaniah (Fa'atui's grandson)

S.P.I.C.C

S.P.I.C.C

Our New Family

Our New Family
Can't wait to meet them!!

The Girl's Room

The Girl's Room

Some of My Girls

Some of My Girls

A Product of the Tsunami last Fall

A Product of the Tsunami last Fall

This Church was nearly wiped out from the Tsunami

This Church was nearly wiped out from the Tsunami

After I received news that my Grandma was dying I went outside and this rainbow was in the sky.

After I received news that my Grandma was dying I went outside and this rainbow was in the sky.
GOD ALWAYS KEEPS HIS PROMISES

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Week 1 of School

Today wrapped up our first week of school. Praise the Lord!! We are all in need of much rest and restructuring. We did receive many more students as the week went on. I'm not sure how many there are but I think somewhere near 130. I now have 21 students in my 5th-6th class and boy are they a handful! I hear the younger grades are much worse though. Its so sad!! So many children in need to love and attention. They are restless and neglected and many have never been taught to sit down, pay attention and learn. We must be on them constantly to make sure they do anything. It can become exhausting.

The Bible lessons each day have gone pretty well. I was able to give a gospel presentation to the 4th-8th graders today and was surprised to actually capture most of their attention for the majority of the time. GOD IS SO GOOD! As some of you know...I am NOT a teacher. I don't enjoy the process at all but I simply came here to serve. Well, its been even more difficult than I expected and I am struggling a lot. The lessons and such aren't the difficult part but actually trying to get the children to understand...even a little bit is SO hard!! They all want to test me to see how far I will go til I break! I just want to help them yet I feel like they fight me. It's a constant battle but for their good! Well...I guess according to God its for my good as well while I try to learn patience. Let's just say I DONT want to have children any time soon!

Being here on this island has been such unique experience! I've been thinking through many areas of my life! It's crazy how much God talks to you when you are constantly in prayer. I have never felt so utterly weak and humble! I am nothing. I have nothing. I keep questioning why I am here. But my trusty leader Tyler has helped me a lot. He just keeps reminding me that anything good that has happened or will happen is entirely God. I shouldn't feel like I am the one doing any of it because it's NOT me at all. It's GOD in me and working through me. I guess one of the reasons I've been struggling is that the culture although similar to the U.S. is difficult to understand. It contradicts itself a lot and thats hard to follow. I just keep praying that eventually I'll begin to understand or at least understand enough to feel like I can get somewhere in it.

All in all... the lessons I'm learning here are unlike anything I have ever learned before and for that I am grateful. God is testing me in new ways and it hurts a lot but I know that is good for me. I have many areas I need to change in and grow.

PLEASE PRAY FOR:

1.) The team as we start to grow tired and will be tempted to take out our frustrations on each other
2.) Myself as it's killing me to be away from my family & Grandma while she is so ill. I just have to keep trusting that I am where God wants me, no matter how much it hurts.
3.) The children as we try to help them learn. Some of them do very well, others are years behind and we can only do so much in 3 more weeks.
4.) Health for all of us as we start to grow tired but have no time to rest
5.) More opportunities for encouraging & Godly conversations. My team members & I have had conversations with various people (at school, youth group and other activities) who are hurting and searching for answers. Pray that God would use us as tools in their lives to help point them towards HIMSELF
6.) Strength for all of us as the fun & romance of this island begins to wear off and our tasks become more difficult. Pray that we can continue to walk closely with God on our own and keep up Godly about all that we are facing

1 comment:

  1. very good blog, congratulations
    regard from Reus Catalonia
    thank you

    ReplyDelete