INTRODUCTION

Talofa! (Hello) This blog is for friends & family to follow me as I partake on my 3rd overseas missionary journey. I’ll be in Samoa and American Samoa for 5 weeks this summer, sharing my experiences as well as prayer requests & praises on this site! I am so grateful for a new opportunity to help people spiritually & physically!

There is no greater joy than working for the Lord & knowing that nothing happens outside of His control. The peace that comes from knowing you’re right where God wants you is indescribable!! I plan to travel and share the gospel and love of Jesus Christ as long as the Lord permits!

If you have supported me through prayer or funding, I can’t thank you enough!! If you haven’t supported me yet but are still interested in what I’m doing, I hope you enjoy my blog. Fa'afetai (thanks) for taking the time to read this! God bless!


Our Team at Church Here in Samoa

Our Team at Church Here in Samoa

Fa'atui (The Visionary who started the school here in 1992))

Fa'atui (The Visionary who started the school here in 1992))

Zephaniah (Fa'atui's grandson)

Zephaniah (Fa'atui's grandson)

S.P.I.C.C

S.P.I.C.C

Our New Family

Our New Family
Can't wait to meet them!!

The Girl's Room

The Girl's Room

Some of My Girls

Some of My Girls

A Product of the Tsunami last Fall

A Product of the Tsunami last Fall

This Church was nearly wiped out from the Tsunami

This Church was nearly wiped out from the Tsunami

After I received news that my Grandma was dying I went outside and this rainbow was in the sky.

After I received news that my Grandma was dying I went outside and this rainbow was in the sky.
GOD ALWAYS KEEPS HIS PROMISES

Sunday, June 6, 2010

POST NUMBER 3

Earlier int he week we emptied out a large storage room of books, bedding and other things. It was quite a dirty project as much of it had been in there for a long time! The moisture and bugs had damaged some of the items but we organized all of the good books into their school library and threw out or put away all the other items. By the time we finished, the room looked great but we looked as if we'd all taken a shower in our clothes and then rolled in a dust pile! Haha!

Today we went to Fa'atui's church, Ola Fou. It was so cool!! Everyone wears beautiful white dresses and white suit coats with lava lavas (a traditional type of skirt for both males and females). The women all wear really neat & fancy oldfashioned hats. The church building was big and beautiful! Stained glass windows and a neat wood ceiling. The music was the most touching thing!! Dozens of beautiful voices singing hymns in Samoan with an organ. It was incredible! Made me excited for what it will be like in heaven some day!! Everyone praising the Lord in perfect harmony! :) The service was almost entirely in Samoan. That made it difficult to stay awake as the heat inside the building was intense! We took turns waving a big fan (very common here) though and that was wonderful!

The relaxing atmosphere here on Tutuila is shown in many ways. Everyone has their own gardens here on the island since there isn't much room or soil for farming. The speed limit is 25 all around the island (even slower on big curves). It's typical to see many people riding in the back of pickup trucks. The guys on our team usually ride in the truck bed when we go places since there are so many of us. When in public or entertaining guests we all have to wear the traditional lava lavas. The school gave us fabric and one of my team mambers (Mary) graciously sewed them all for us. Bless her for her hard work!

This past week we had cooks in the kitchen here at the school but they are now off for the summer so we'll be preparing our own meals. We take turns with cooking and cleaning. At dinner time Fa'atui gives a devotinal and his familiy usually sings at least one song in Samoan. They are beautiful songs!

We went out to lunch at a Hong Long restaurant after church. That is the only thing traditional Samoans will do on Sundays (Church then lunch then rest). We aren't allowed to work or do any other activities until night church this evening at 6pm.

PLEASE PRAY FOR:

1. Myself and one other guy on my team (Chuck) as we are still fighting illness (sinus infection etc....)
2. Unity for my team as we become more comfortable with each other and therefore can have more opportunities to say hurtful things in sarcasm or act selfishly in other ways
3. Our first day of school tomorrow. I'm sure it will be a bit hectic and overwhelming

THANKS EVERYONE!! TO GOD ALONE BE THE GLORY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment